Inside The Artist's Studio


( Tiner Painting his first "Functional Art" Jacket.)

During the spring of my senior year, Brown had a "Senior Prom." Several of my friends had their tuxedos flown in from across the country. I thought people were taking it a little too serious, so I decided to change the outlook. After all, vivid 1980s photos were used in the advertisements and the event was promoted as a flashback to high school, a time where I explored diverse artistic media, including painting, printmaking and photography.

Consequentially, I went to a local thrift store and purchased a suit to reflect my expressive artistic style. I enjoyed painting the suit and creating living artwork.

Traditionally, fine art is displayed in an affluent living environment or museum setting. The goal of the jacket is to create a fine art piece that changes the traditional paradigm. I created a functional piece of fine art that consequentially created more fine art when people photograph it (assuming the photographs are properly archived).

The jacket can be framed and displayed in a high-end environment or it can be worn on a daily basis: a mixture of high brow/low brow functionality.


In 2008, I wore this jacket to Project Ethos.


I have since been developing more fashion products that challenge the definition of contemporary fashion (and are more suitable for everyday use). In particular, I have been focusing on men's ties and women's scarves. I look forward to sharing this work in the months ahead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harvard Business School Online's AI Essentials for Business Certificate

Supporting the Next Generation

Inbound Marketing Summit