Kercui/Warhol Opening

Last night, I went to an art opening at Cal State Fullerton's Grand Central Art Center in Santa Ana, CA. The new art center is a 45,000 square-foot residential, commercial and educational complex. The goal of the building is to revitalize downtown Santa Ana, CA similar to other projects in Providence, RI.


(G. Ray Kerciu & Sean Tiner)


G. Ray Kerciu, one of my close friends and mentors, had original oils on display. Kerciu exploded onto the art scene in the 1960s with a controversial civil rights series. Shortly afterwards, G. Ray moved to New York City, where he had his own studio. His art openings were very successful in the city with Warhol and Rauschenberg attending them. Later in his life, Kerciu worked at Cal State Fullerton. He mentored several students during his tenure, including my father who earned his MFA during Kercui's tenure.

Last night was special for me, as I enjoyed seeing G. Ray reconnecting with his old friends and ironically having his paintings adjacent to Warhol's photography exhibit.


(Kerciu Art Opening Poster from 1966, signed by G.RAY)

Comments

majskyking said…
Sean ....I've known G. Ray (I may be one of the only people alive who knows what the "G" indicates) since about 1963-64 - can't remember the exact dates, but who cares?

Ray and I were in the Air Force at approximately the same time - although never stationed together.

We first met while living in Seal Beach. Those days were exciting and innovative - as Ray's art is.

My first wife, I, G. Ray and his first wife partied in those days, along with many other Seal Beachers. Great times and great fun ....no one was really serious.

Ray had a studio on Seaside Walk in Long Beach - close to the Long Beach Pike ....used to drop in to see him at his studio on occasion as I worked for the Long Beach Convention Bureau in the old Municipal Auditorium just down the street.

Last time I saw Ray was in Laguna ...I called him and we met for coffee in the village.

I'm going to get in contact with that old dog soon.

Bob King
Newport Beach
majskyking@gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Don't be afraid, if you are not "qualified."

Google Analytics 4

Trestles NFT