2008 Election


(Ruth Simmons (C) Tiner)


Approximately 6 years ago, I remember being a nervous 18 year-old eagerly waiting to depart for Brown University and begin my undergraduate studies. Before I left, I watched a 60 Minutes program on Ruth Simmons, who recently started her tenure as president at Brown University. I remember its significance, because she was the first “black woman” Ivy League President.


( Sean Tiner & Ruth Simmons enjoying Brown Football win the 2006 Ivy League Championship)

Over the next 4 years, as I developed a friendship with Ruth, I remember how the media no longer focused on her race or gender and concentrated on her accomplishments. Ruth momentously secured a $100 million dollar donation from the late Sydney Frank and started a revitalization of Brown’s academics and facilities while I was there. These significant accomplishments far transcend the labels of race and gender.

Similarly the media is spending a great amount of energy on the race and gender of this year’s presidential candidates. Yes it is noteworthy. These candidates have accomplished a significant amount for their respective genders and races, but we must also focus on the goals that they can accomplish for our country.

No matter who wins the 2008 Presidency, I hope that they will guide our country with the strength and veracity America needs.


(Obama (C) Tiner)


(McCain (C) Tiner)


(Clinton (C) Tiner)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't be afraid, if you are not "qualified."

Google Analytics 4

Trestles NFT