The 2008 Mark P. Tiner Education Foundation Board Meeting





(The 2008 Mark P. Tiner Education Foundation Scholarship Board Meeting, selecting recipients at the offices of OCCF a (CA) 501 (C) 3.)

I'm excited that The 2008 Mark P. Tiner Education Foundation Board met a few days ago and selected TWO recipients for The 2008 Tiner OC Financial Needs Scholarship.

The first award will be for $1,000 and the second (thanks to recent contributions) will be announced shortly. The financial needs scholarship is to assist a diligent graduating high school senior from Orange County, CA pursue higher education. Last year the foundation awarded a $750 scholarship to a female graduating senior from Aliso Niguel High School. The awards are given off endowed funds, so they will hopefully last in perpetuity.

Although I still miss my brother, I'm honored that his memory continues through the lives of the scholarship recipients. Each year it has been difficult to read through the applications and select a recipient. The immediate memories of my brother's death deeply upset me.

This is the first year that I was able to read through the applications and focus strictly on the applicants themselves. My brother's memory lives through the recipients and for that I'm thankful. The focus has shifted from remembering his life, to assisting the lives of the recipients.

The media often focuses on the world's grief and turmoil during news broadcasts. With this perspective, it's easy to concentrate on the world's problems. After reading through this year's applications, I discovered the contrary. ....Yes, there is a lot of need, but there is also a lot of hope. I'm really impressed by the next generation of leaders and the impact they have already made.

It was heartwarming and difficult to narrow down the 63 applicants to the two recipients. All of the applicants were very industrious and I wish them the best of luck in their undergraduate studies.

I look forward to presenting the two awards in the near future. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't be afraid, if you are not "qualified."

Google Analytics 4

Trestles NFT