Generation Y's Web 2.0 Hierarchy of Communication Model


(Generation Y's Web 2.0 Hierarchy of Communication Model (C) Tiner)

"Did you get my text message?" "How about my email?" ..."Why didn't you respond to my facebook message?" "...She opened my B2B message, but she did not respond. :( "

"Simply put, we live in an era of hyper connectivity. From aim, facebook messaging, text messaging and emailing, digital communication and Web 2.0 media continually erode traditional barriers of communication. It's difficult at times to comprehend the speed at which our thoughts and actions are communicated to our peers. Entire conversations are digitally transmitted for convenience, but at the sacrifice of personal connection. (I really doubt our predecessors sent entire conversations continually back and forth via the Morse Code.)

Inspired by Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs Model, I created a Web 2.0 version that prioritizes the level of Generation Y's communication. I believe the highest form of communication is face to face (top of the pyramid) and the less personal are at the bottom (aim, poking, facebook/gmail chatting). Yes, digital communication is convenient at times, but it can also dilute the meaning of interaction."
-(Excerpt from my thesis: Thinking Beyond Web 2.0: Leveraging the Ego of Generation-Y to Build Business)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't be afraid, if you are not "qualified."

Google Analytics 4

Trestles NFT